Law Enforcement Biography of Patrick Curley, Sr..
Mr. Curley served with the Wilkes Barre City Police Department for 20 1/2 years which included 1 year as a patrolman, 8 years on motorcycle patrol, and 12 1/2 years as a detective.
During his distinguished career, Detective Curley investigated and prosecuted various types of cases ranging from homicide, arson, burglary, and embezzlement to kidnapping, rape, and child abuse. Detective Curley had a remarkable record of over 400 successful prosecutions and convictions including 2 cases which received national recognition. One case was an unsolved, 4 year old murder case. Due to the skillful efforts of Detective Curley, Francis Hannon was arrested and convicted of the murder in 1978 and serves a life sentence. The other case was the 1982 mass murder of 13 Luzerne County residents by former state prison guard George Banks. Banks was convicted of 12 counts of first degree murder and sentenced to death.
Through his years of service, Mr. Curley received multiple commendations for his exemplary service including:
- Letter of Commendation from the Los Angeles Police Department for the arrest of a homicide suspect that fled to Wilkes Barre, PA.
- 1981 Commendation for the arrest of William Kioske, James Barbarino, David Walton, and Gary Russell for a total of 192 burglaries and 424 crimes.
- 1982 Commendation for the investigation which led to the conviction of mass murderer George Banks.
- 1984 Letter of Recognition from Gus Gennetti, hotel owner, Wilkes Barre, who was the victim of a $25,000 burglary. The investigation conducted by Detective Curley led to the arrest and conviction of George Dovolis.
- Commendation by the Allentown Police Department for joint effort with their department which led to the arrest of Gary Modrak.
Mr. Curley also had the distinction of being chosen to provide security for the following:
- Vice Presidential Candidate Geraldine Ferraro
- Senator Edward Kennedy
- President Jimmy Carter
- Vice President Walter Mondale
- Vice President George Bush